News from the Zebrafish Community
*IZFS member names are in bold
Sincere thanks to All Things Zebrafish @ZebrafishRock for help via the #DanioDigest. Follow him on Twitter for up to the moment Zebrafish community news!
- Dr. Steve Farber (Carnegie Institution for Science), Dr. David Glanzman (UCLA), Dr. Ken Poss (Duke University Medical Center), and Dr. David Tobin (Duke University Medical Center) were elected as Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Dr. Filippo Del Bene (Institut de la Vision), Dr. Wolfgang Driever (Universitat Freiburg), and Dr. Caren Norden (Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia) were elected as EMBO Members.
- Dr. Alex Schier (University of Basel) was elected to membership in the National Academy of Sciences.
- Dr. Scott Fraser (University of Southern California) was elected to membership in the National Academy of Medicine.
- Dr. Lalita Ramakrishnan (University of Cambridge) was elected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology.
- Dr. Peter Currie (Monash University) elected as a Fellow to the Australian Academy of Science.
- Prof. Karen Guillemin (University of Oregon) elected as Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Prof. Uwe Strähle wins the Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard Award at the 2020 European Zebrafish Society meeting.
- Dr. Vatsala Thirumalai (National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bangalore) wins 2020 S. S. Bhatnagar Award for Biological Sciences, one of India’s highest scientific honors.
- Dr. Harold Burgess (NICHD) received a Director Award from the Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative.
- Dr. Rosa Uribe (Rice University), Dr. Sarah Peterson (Kenyon College) and Dr. Kazunori Hoshino (University of Connecticut) won NSF CAREER Awards.
- Dr. Mayssa Mokalled (Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis) received the H.W. Mossman Award in Developmental Biology from the American Association for Anatomy.
- Dr. Steve Farber (Carnegie Institution for Science) and Jamie Shuda (University of Pennsylvania) won the Bruce Alberts Award for Excellence in Science Education from the American Society for Cell Biology.
- Daniel Castranova, an aquatic research specialist in Dr. Brant Weinstein's laboratory at NICHD, won first prize in the Nikon Small World photomicrography competition.
- Dr. Jan Huisken (University Wisconsin-Madison) was awarded the 2020 Lennart Nilsson Award from the Karolinska Institutet and receives 2021 Alexander von Humboldt Professorship with the University of Göttingen.
- José Uribe-Salazar (U.C. Davis) receives the American Society of Human Genetics Epstein Trainee Award.
- Dr. Andrea M. Henle (Carthage College) awarded Thora Halstead Young Investigator Award at the 2020 meeting of the American Society for Gravitational and Space Research.
- Prof. Corinne Houart (King’s College London) receives a Wellcome Trust Investigator Award.
- Prof H. Joseph Yost (University of Utah) awarded the Gary C. Schoenwolf Mentorship Award by the University of Utah
- Cagney Coomer (University of Kentucky) receives inaugural Society of Developmental Biology Trainee Science Communication Award for founding and working with Nerd Squad Inc.
- Amber Stratman (Washing University) receives Cancer Research Foundation Young Investigator Award.
- Dr. Tatjana Sauka-Spengler (University of Oxford) wins 2020 British Society of Developmental Biology Cheryll Tickle Medal.
- Dr. Natasha O’Brown (Harvard Medical School) receives 2020 Damon Runyon-Dale F Frey Award as breakthrough scientist.
- Dr. Valerie Tornini (Yale University) and Dr. Elizabeth Haynes (University Wisconsin-Madison) announced as 2020 Leading Edge Fellows. For more info, visit: https://leadingedgesymposium.org/fellows/.
- Dr. Soojin Ryu (University of Exeter) was appointed as a Mireille Gillings Fellow.
- Mohamed El-Brolosy, a graduate student in Dr. Didier Stainier's laboratory at the Max Planck Institute, won the Max Bernsteil International Prize for his graduate research.
- Briana Davis, a graduate student in Dr. John Rawls' laboratory at Duke University Medical Center, was awarded a HHMI Gilliam Fellowship for Advanced Study.
- Olivia McGinnis, an undergraduate student in Dr. Florian Engert's laboratory at Harvard University, was selected as a Rhodes Scholar.
- Dr. Summer Thyme (University of Alabama at Birmingham) selected as a Klingenstein-Simons Fellow in Neuroscience.
- Dr. Noémie Hamilton (Sheffield University) receives Early Career Researcher Prize from Sheffield University.
- Professor Nadia Mercader Huber (University of Bern) wins the 2020 Cloëtta Prize for her outstanding research on cardiac regeneration.
- Dr. Richard White (Sloan-Kettering) receives the Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Foundation – Melanoma Research Alliance Team Science Award
- Dr. Dan Youngstrom (UConn Health Center) wins 2020 John Haddad Young Investigator Award from the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Would you like to have your news featured here? Please send any community news to info@IZFS.org for publication in our next newsletter.