*IZFS member names are in bold
Sincere thanks to @ZebrafishRock for help via the #DanioDigest. Follow them on Twitter for up to the moment Zebrafish community news!
- Charles “Chuck” Kimmel, PhD, Professor Emeritus of biology at University of Oregon, elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2022.
- Leonard I. Zon, MD, Harvard University elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2022. Len threw out a first pitch at Fenway Park in honor of his induction into the NAS.
- Leonard I. Zon, MD, Harvard University awarded the 2022 William Silen Lifetime Achievement in Mentoring Award from Harvard Medical School.
- Elizabeth Hillman, PhD Columbia University Zuckerman Institute, elected to the 2022 National Academy of Inventors.
- Emre Yaksi elected member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Science and Letters for 2022.
- Fredrik Jutfelt elected member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Science and Letters for 2022.
- Lilianna Solnica-Krezel, PhD., Washington University School of Medicine, awarded the 2023 Edwin G. Conklin Medal from the Society for Developmental Biology.
- Robert Kelsh PhD, University of Bath, is the recipient of the 2023 Myron Gordon Award by the International Federation of Pigment Cell Societies (IFPCS).
- Robin L. Tanguay, PhD, Oregon State University, awarded the 2023 Society of Toxicology Toxicologist Mentoring Award.
- Maura McGrail, PhD Iowa State University, is the recipient of the 2023 Outstanding Achievement in Research Award from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Iowa State University.
- Stephanie Woo, PhD., University of California, Merced, awarded a National Science Foundation CAREER award to study endoderm morphogenesis.
- Bushra Raj, PhD. Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, is a recipient of the Director’s New Innovator award from the NIH.
- Joanna Smeeton, PhD., Columbia University Irving Medical Center, is a recipient of the Director’s New Innovator award from the NIH.
- Summer Thyme, PhD., University of Alabama Birmingham, is a recipient of the Director’s New Innovator award from the NIH.
- Shawn Burgess, PhD, Developmental Genetics Section, National Human Genome Research Institute, NIH, elected to the Genetic Society of America Board of Directors.
- Robert Hufnagel, MD, PhD, National Eye Institute, NIH, elected to the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics Board of Directors.
- The NOVA documentary, “Picture a Scientist” featuring Nancy Hopkins, Amgen Professor of Biology Emerita MIT, was nominated for an Emmy in the category of Outstanding Science and Technology Documentary.
- Eduardo E. Zattara, PhD., CONICET -National Scientific and Technical Research Council, Argentina, wins first place in the 2022 Nikon Small World in Motion Video Competition with his video of lateral line and melanocyte migration in a zebrafish embryo.
- Cagney Coomer, PhD, postdoctoral scholar with Marnie E. Halpern at Dartmouth College, selected as a 2022 HHMI Hanna Gray Fellow.
- Anjud Khamis N Al Mohannadi, graduate student at Hamad Bin Khalifa University, named Top Research Specialist Author of 2022 by Sidra Medicine.
- Madeline Tompach, graduate student in the Alicia Timme-Laragy lab at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, won the Graduate Student Oral Presentation Award at the 2022 Northeast Chapter of the Society of Toxicology meeting.
- Marjorie Marin, graduate student in the Alicia Timme-Laragy lab at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, won the First Place Graduate student Poster Award at the 2022 Northeast Chapter of the Society of Toxicology meeting.
- Ana Cristina Chang-Gonzalez, graduate student with Dr. Wonmuk Hwang at Texas A&M University, awarded a 2022 U.S. Senator Phil Gramm Fellowship.
- Helene Vignes, PhD, graduate student at IGBMC, Strasbourg, with Julien Vermot, awarded the 2022 French Society for Development Biology (SFDB) Thesis Prize.
- Kevin Thiessen, PhD, awarded the 2023 Society for Developmental Biology Trainee Science Communication Award for establishing @Zebrafishrock.
Would you like to have your news featured here? Did we miss something? Please send any community news to info@IZFS.org for publication in our next newsletter.