NC State University
Description & Details:
The Marsden Lab at NC State is hiring a research technician that is fully funded by our new R01 from NINDS. Enthusiasm for science required! Experience with zebrafish a plus but not required! Through our research we hope to better understand neurological disease by uncovering links between genetic and environmental factors and the formation of neural circuits that drive behavior. We use a variety of techniques including confocal microscopy, high-speed and high-throughput behavioral tracking, pharmacology, proteomic and transcriptomic analysis, and more. Come join our team in the exciting Research Triangle region of North Carolina!
The Research Assistant position will provide strong opportunities for career development, including expectations to be a contributing author on publications, train and manage undergraduate and graduate students, and develop new techniques for analysis of neural circuits and behavior.
- Care and maintenance of a small zebrafish colony, including daily feeding and water quality monitoring
- Routine zebrafish husbandry
- Ordering and managing inventory of laboratory supplies
- Using established genotyping methods and developing new genotyping protocols to maintain zebrafish stocks
- Analyzing the behavior of zebrafish in response to visual and auditory stimuli using high-speed imaging and automated tracking software
- Using molecular cloning techniques to design and create transgenic and CRISPR constructs and microinjections to establish transgenic and mutant zebrafish lines for analysis of neural circuit development and function
- Using confocal microscopy to image neural development, connectivity and activity, as well as gene expression patterns using in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry
- Interacting with and participating in training of students in the laboratory
Inclusiveness and diversity are critical to the success of the College of Sciences and the University. The selected candidate will be expected to foster an environment that is supportive and welcoming of all groups.
Relevant Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree and 3 or more years of relevant experience in a research laboratory, or relevant independent experience and education in the field of Neuroscience.
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Fluency with the Microsoft Office Suite, statistical analysis, database management
- Basic laboratory skills, including making solutions and dilutions
- Experience with molecular biology techniques, including primer design, PCR, and cloning
- Formal training in genetics
- Experience with animal research; experience with zebrafish strongly preferred
- Ability and desire to learn new techniques
- Experience with behavioral analysis and microscopy
- Knowledge of image analysis software such as ImageJ, Imaris, or MetaMorph
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
- Programming experience with MATLAB, Python, and/or R; experience managing large datasets
- Master’s degree in neuroscience or related field
Submit the following material to https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/145564
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References