Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute
||Genetics and Heart Disease
Description and Details:
The Inherited Heart Disease laboratory, headed by Professor Diane Fatkin, is seeking a driven and highly motivated experimental Postdoctoral Fellow to join the zebrafish team. You will be part of a highly collaborative group comprising of cardiologists, genetic counsellors, bioinformaticians, medical scientists and molecular biologists whose primary objective is to investigate the genetic basis of two of the most common types of heart disease: dilated cardiomyopathy and atrial fibrillation. In this role, you will have the opportunity to study how genetic changes affect the heart's contraction and rhythm using cutting-edge imaging technology and multi-omics in zebrafish models. A major focus will be on investigating mechanisms of alcohol-induced heart disease.
- Conduct high quality innovative research.
- Design and execute experiments.
- Analyse and interpret research data, communicating findings effectively.
- Initiate and contribute to publications within area of expertise.
- Present relevant seminars, both within and outside the Institute.
- Develop advanced research procedures.
- Develop a sophisticated relationship with the scientific literature appropriate to the research program.
- Regularly attend and contribute to meetings associated with research of the Division/Group and, where appropriate, other research groups.
- Take shared responsibility (with Laboratory Head) for laboratory research budget and project management.
- Contribute to research grant proposals submitted by the Laboratory Head.
- Adopt a proactive approach towards winning other external research funding (such as postdoctoral training and travel fellowships).
- Supervise or co-supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Supervise and train support staff.
- Assist with training new investigators in use of specialised laboratory equipment and advanced research procedures.
- PhD in biological sciences, medicine, or a related discipline.
- Strong interest and experience in zebrafish research, in particular genome engineering, imaging, and immunohistochemistry/histology.
- Excellent molecular biology skills.
- Preferable experience in assessment of cardiac function in animal models, such as ECG and echocardiography.
- Excellent data interpretation skills including biostatistics, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organisational, time management, and project management skills.
- A strong publication record.
- Experience in grant writing.
How to Apply
Apply Here: https://careers-victorchang.lanteria-hr.com.au/Home/JobOpeningDetails?jobOpeningId=192
Contact Person: Professor Diane Fatkin
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org